Friday, April 29, 2016

6.12 or, Happy 7th Birthday, Corbin!

Dear Corbin,

You turned 7!  Seven years ago, you were a little, scrunchy-faced baby, and now you're so big I can hardly lift you up.  Although, that probably says more about my lack of arm muscles, since you're still only the 3rd percentile for height and weight for your age.  We went to see a different pediatrician for your check up.  She's very cool; hopefully we'll see her for a long time.  She noted that you did grow since last year, so you're just on the small size it seems.  The only time I wish you were taller is when I want you to set the table, and you have to move the kitchen stool to get the plates down.

You got some fun presents for your birthday: a new LEGO set, and a new How to Train Your Dragon play set, and some books, and some spending money from Grandma and Grandpa Thorne.  You spent some of that on a set of How to Train Your Dragon DVDs, which we found at Target while waiting for you pink eye medication prescription to be filled.  Happy birthday!  Have some pink eye!  Ugh.  Birthdays are way better without the pink eye.

We had a party at the park for you.  You invited a handful of kids from school, most of which were girls.  We played some bocce ball, blew bubbles to chase, drew with sidewalk chalk, and did a scavenger hunt for little plastic animals and ninjas.  You all got cupcake frosting all over your faces, which was pretty funny.  It was nice to meet some of your school friends and their parents.  Grandma sees them every day, of course, but we never get to meet anyone.

It was Valentine's Day this month, of course.  You declined to pass out any Valentines at school, but you did enjoy getting a bunch of them from your classmates.  On the actual day, which was a Sunday, you and Dad and Miriam waited until I went to my yoga class, and then surprised me with chocolates and shiny earrings when I got home.  It was lovely.

You had a school fundraiser this month, the Dance-a-Thon.  I'm not always fond of the fundraisers that they do, but at least this one doesn't involve buying candy.  I made you do a little video and we emailed it to some folks to see if they'd like to send you some money, which they did, so we did a second video afterward to say thank you.  I have a love/hate relationship with school fundraisers.  I love our school, but I wish they would do one or two check writing campaigns per year and get it over with.  I would rather have you get a real understanding of how to support a good cause, instead of thinking that selling candy is the way to do it.  But we did get an update on the chicks that we donated through Heifer, so that was fun.  I hope that we help you learn how lucky we are, and what it means for us to be able to help others.

Love,
Mom

Your LEGO walled garden, to protect it from zombies:



No comments: