Tuesday, February 16, 2016

3.8 or, What's Cooking

Dear Miriam,

You had two Thanksgivings this year, one at school and one at home.  For school, you did the usual autumn crafts, which included an Indian head dress.  When you're old enough, I'll ship you out to spend a summer going to pow-wows with Becky and Sofia Chapman.  Fortunately, your Thanksgiving dinner at school was less controversial.

Aunt Cele and Aunt Alice came to visit, on what's becoming their annual trip.  This year, they helped Grandma set up her new ipad, which you've now been enjoying very much.  They spent a night down in San Diego visiting Uncle Alex and Aunt Lena, and one of Grandma's best friends who was also in town.  I'm so grateful that they make the time to visit.  I grew up around an amazing group of aunts, both by blood and by friendship, and I want you to have them in your life, too.  There will be times in your life when you need advice from your aunts.  Sometimes, you'll want them instead of me, and I'm good with that.

It was Grandpa's birthday this month.  He turned 80, which sounds old, but when I watch him play with you, he certainly doesn't seem old.  He does moan and groan when he stands up off the floor, but so do Dad and I, so I don't even know if that counts.

We had a nice dinner for Thanksgiving.  Our friend Chris Karbo came over to eat with us.  We made a turkey roast with vegetables, and had a lovely time.  None of your adults are really into cooking, but you and Corbin always like to help us in the kitchen.  You like to use the can opener, and you love to stir things.  You have burned your finger once, but I haven't let you do any knife work yet, so we've avoided cut fingers.  You do like to use the peeler, though, so we might end up with a peeled finger at some point.  I hope that you grow up to like cooking more than we do.  It's useful to like something that you have to do all the time.  I might like it more as you and Corbin get older and a little more adventurous in your eating habits.  Or I might just start taking you to restaurants all the time.

Outside of our house, the day after Thanksgiving is a major shopping day.  Inside of our house, it's the day that Grandma starts decorating for Christmas.  That means, all of the Christmas books came out, and all of the Christmas music started playing.  You have an especially loud, annoying electric candle that plays a couple of measures of different Christmas carols.  I keep hoping that it will somehow disappear, but it's stuck around for a few years now.  Now that you're a little older, Grandma can put out a few more of her Nativity sets, and more of the little snowy village.  We'll see if the dinosaurs come to Christmas again this year, like they did last year.

Love,
Mom



No comments: